January 18, 2012
Inexpensive, cute and easy-to-use - Olympus Smart Series gets a stunning new compact
Crazy for colour, crazy for value VH-210 has the features to go with the style
Apples, grapes, apricots, lychees … some of the world's most colourful and prettiest treats are also the easiest to enjoy. Just like the new Olympus VH-210 compact. Smart, slim and straightforward to use, it makes you want to take pictures just because it's so easy - and to show off its beautiful looks. Rounded edges and uncluttered, all-metal surfaces give the VH-210 a simple elegance, but it's the head-turning colours that really set it apart. The organic design was the inspiration for six colour versions named after six fruits: Apple Red, Grape Purple, Apricot Orange, Lychee White, Kiwi Green and Black Berry. The VH-210 combines its eye-catching contours and colours with advanced imaging aids, which is ideal if you like your imaging lively and light. Features like i-Auto and Beauty Mode automatically pick the right settings so you can capture quality pictures and movies with none of the fuss. 14 Megapixels and a 5x wide optical zoom lens (26-130 mm*) take care of the rest. You can create fun effects with Magic Filters or 3D Mode (Red & Cyan) and share what you've shot on the big 3" LCD, alternatively via wireless Eye-Fi. With options like these, the VH-210 offers incredible value for money. It costs just €89 and is available from the middle of January.
Pretty in purple, gorgeous in green
Wherever you're going, whatever you're doing, whichever colour you choose, the VH-210 always looks the part. A rarity in this price category, the all-metal casing adds extra sparkle to the lustrous finish. From warm Apricot Orange to cool Lychee White, each vivid new colour stands out in the crowd. What's more, the Olympus designers had the good sense to keep knobs and dials to a minimum, and this minimalist approach does wonders for the design. Even when it's lying switched off on a table, the VH-210 is simply lovely to look at. In keeping with the natural choice of colours, hard edges are replaced by gentler organic curves, so in your hand the camera has the smooth and pleasant feel of a pebble. With its slender dimensions, it'll easily slip into a pocket or purse.
Easy on the eye, easy to use
Less is also more when it comes to manual controls. True to Olympus' Smart Series philosophy, the VH-210 does away with everything you don't really need, replacing switches and settings with automatic aids that do all the work. The result is a camera that's quick and easy to use - plus photos and movies that it's a pleasure to share. Thanks to 14 Megapixels, a flexible Olympus-grade 5x wide optical zoom lens and built-in Digital Image Stabilisation, your images come out crisp and bright. If you like to get creative, Macro Mode lets you zoom right in to capture detailed close-ups in radiant colour while 3D Red & Cyan generates dynamic three-dimensional photos that you can even view on 2D devices like a regular TV. Nine Olympus Magic Filters let you add special effects on the LCD to both photos and movies - another rare feature in this price category.
Best of all, anyone can get great results with a VH-210. i-Auto can recognise eight of the most commonly shot scenes and automatically choose the right settings for the best possible picture. From AF Tracking and Shadow Adjustment Technology to Face Detection and Beauty Mode, the VH-210 has just about every base covered, no matter your talent or lack of it. All you have to do is shoot.
The VH-210 is available in six colours for €89 from mid-January 2012.
- Beautiful rounded design in one of six radiant colours:
Apple Red, Grape Purple, Apricot Orange, Lychee White, Kiwi Green and Black Berry
- Super-slim body for go-anywhere portability
- All-metal casing with a distinct lustrous finish
- 5x wide optical zoom lens (26-130mm*) for effortless close-ups and wide-angle shots
- 720p HD Movie with sound for capturing movies in excellent quality
- 14 Megapixels for high-quality full-size movies, stills and prints
- Digital Image Stabilisation for reducing blur
- 3" colour LCD (460,000 dots) for easily framing, reviewing and sharing shots
- Face Detection and Shadow Adjustment Technology for capturing people's faces just as you want them
- Intelligent Auto Mode (i-Auto) and AF Tracking for easy setting and focussing
- Scene Mode for automatic settings that suit specific conditions
(e.g., Landscape, Night)
Creativity & Flexibility:
- Magic Filters for adding creative effects to HD movies and/or stills:
Punk, Pop Art, Pin Hole, Drawing, Fish Eye, Soft Focus, Sparkle (photos only), Watercolour and Reflection
- 3D photo shooting mode (Red & Cyan) for striking stills you can share on 2D devices
- Beauty Mode for hiding unwanted blemishes
- Eye-Fi Card compatibility for automatic wireless uploading of images to a website or PC
Other key features:
- [ib] software for browsing, organising and viewing images by person, place, location or event
- ISO 80 to 1600
- SDHC and SDXC memory card compatible**
- Built-in flash
- In-camera help guide
- USB battery charging
|*||35mm camera equivalent.|
|**||SD is a trademark of SD Card Association. UHS Speed Class is not supported.|
Please be advised that press releases and information posted on this site are current at the time of the original publication date. Please note that they may now be outdated or rendered inaccurate.