May 1, 2007
Olympus Special Advisor Masatoshi Kishimoto Receives
the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon
Olympus Corporation (President: Tsuyoshi Kikukawa) is proud to announce that its Special Advisor Masatoshi Kishimoto has been awarded the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon, in the spring honors for 2007.
Masatoshi Kishimoto joined Olympus (then Olympus Optical Co., Ltd.) in 1958. He worked mainly in areas relating to overseas business and for many years held senior positions in subsidiaries in the United States and Germany. Mr. Kishimoto became President in 1993, and his ability to interpret rapidly changing economic conditions and international trends was instrumental in building the Olympus of today. He placed particular emphasis on business diversification, and by promoting the shift to digital technology in the area of imaging systems he ensured that Olympus would gain a significant share of the fiercely competitive digital camera market. Mr. Kishimoto also supported the advancement of Olympus medical technology, especially videoscope systems, to the extent that Olympus is now able to make major contributions in the areas of minimally invasive treatment and diagnosis.
Mr. Kishimoto has also held senior positions in numerous industry associations. He has been president of the Japan Camera Industry Association (now the Camera & Imaging Products Association) and vice-president of the Japan Optical Measuring Instruments Manufacturers’ Association , the Japan Medical-Optical Equipment Industrial Association and the Japan Microscope Manufacturers’ Association. As president of Japan Camera Industry Association at a time when the digital camera market was expanding rapidly, he helped to lay the foundations for an industry organization geared toward a digital future by overseeing the dissolution of the Japan Camera Industry Association and the establishment of the Camera & Imaging Products Association.
Mr. Kishimoto received the award in recognition of his contributions to industrial development, as detailed below.
- His success in establishing a business structure and expanding into new areas of activity
- His efforts to advance the camera industry and develop new products, and his distinguished contribution to the success of his company
- His distinguished contribution to the development, advancement and improvement of medical devices
- His distinguished contribution to the advancement of the Japanese optical industry through his leadership in industry organizations
- Press releases are company announcements that are directed at the news media.
- Information posted on this site is current and accurate only at the time of their original publication date, and may now be outdated or inaccurate.
- Company names and product names specified are trademarks of their respective owners.