September 21 2007
Olympus Launches High-resolution Capsule Endoscope in U.S.A.
Olympus Medical Systems Corporation (head office:Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo) is pleased to announce the launch of the OLYMPUS CAPSULE ENDOSCOPE SYSTEM ( Endo Capsule), a high-resolution capsule endoscope for visualization of the small intestine mucosa. The device will go on sale in U.S.A. in early October. It has been on sale in Europe since October 2005. Regulatory approval under Japan's Pharmaceutical Affairs Law is pending. By expanding its product line to include small bowel endoscopes, capsule endoscopes and EndoTherapy products, Olympus aims to contribute to the improvement of safe, reliable and efficient diagnosis and treatment solutions for small bowel conditions.
Olympus aim is to contribute to the advancement of safe, uncomplicated and highly productive medical observation and treatment. Since the early 1990s, Olympus has been conducting research and development activities into capsule endoscopy as a future technology, applying micro-machine technology, nanotechnology and other advanced technologies.
In December 2004 Olympus exhibited basic capsule endoscope technologies, as well as additional future technologies at its "85th Anniversary Technology Fair" in Japan. Keen interest shown by visitors indicated that there is a large expectation for the practical contribution of a capsule endoscope equipped with technologies developed by the leading endoscope manufacturer. Responding to such requests, Olympus first launched Endo Capsule for the observation of small bowel abnormalities in Europe in October 2005.
Olympus is committed to providing solutions for endoscopic diagnosis and treatment in the small intestines under its "EnteroPro" brand. The Endo Capsule, for use in visualization of the small intestine mucosa, and the Single Balloon Enteroscope System, support both diagnosis and treatment in the small intestines. In addition, Olympus Endo Therapy products represent important advances in the technology of therapeutic endoscopy and will make significant contributions to the improvement of reliability and efficiency in the treatment of small bowel conditions.
- High resolution imaging based on technology evolved from our well-established endoscopy systems:
a. Automatic Brightness Control:
- Automatic Brightness Control, applied from conventional endoscope technology, adjusts illumination to maintain optimal imaging, even under the most demanding conditions.
b. Small body (diameter:11mm, length:26mm) equipped with sophisticated micromachine technology.
- Sensitive, high resolution CCD technology provides clear and vivid imaging.
- A wide depth of field (0-20mm*) provides optimal observation.
- 6 white LED lights ensure a clear field of view.
- A built-in capsule antenna transmits two images per second to the recorder unit via the antenna. Recorded images can be obtained for approximately 8 hours*.
* Based on the measurement method used by Olympus
During image playback, the structure enhancement feature facilitates observation of mucosal details.
Real Time Viewer
- World first* real-time observation: promotes more reliable and productive examinations Real-time observation
- Before a patient swallows the capsule, a medical practitioner can check if the capsule is operating correctly.
- With the "Real Time Viewer" with display in hand, a physician can confirm a real time imaging recorded by the capsule endoscope and then estimate the capsule position in GI tract during the procedure.
* This is based on Olympus research as of October 13,2005 and refers to capsule endoscopes.
- Press releases are company announcements that are directed at the news media.
- Information posted on this site is current and accurate only at the time of their original publication date, and may now be outdated or inaccurate.
- Company names and product names specified are trademarks of their respective owners.