January 14, 2010
Carry, shoot and view anytime! 7X wide zoom!
"µ-7040" Compact Digital Camera To Be Released
Feature-packed pocket-size 7X zoom camera
Olympus Imaging Corporation (President: Masaharu Okubo) is pleased to announce the µ-7040, featuring a 7X zoom lens with wide-angle shooting and HD movie recording capability. Release is scheduled end of January 2010.
- HD movie (MPEG-4 AVC / H.264) recording on SD card
- Large-capacity 2 GB built-in memory*1 that enables photo-surfing on the large 3-inch high-resolution LCD panel using new [ib] PC software*2
- High-magnification optical 7X zoom and 28mm*3 wide angle shooting
Olympus's "µ Series" compact digital cameras combine slim, stylish designs with outstanding high-magnification zooming performance. Boasting a high-magnification 7X optical zoom lens with wide-angle shooting capability in an ultra-slim body, the new µ-7040 is the ultra-slim body camera to feature this level of power.
The µ-7040's impressive zoom capabilities are supported by a 14-megapixel*4 1/2.33-inch CCD that works together with the high-resolution lens to capture brilliant, high-definition images featuring natural, lifelike colours and impeccable details, accurately reproducing the subject throughout the image area. A built-in "DUAL IS"*5 image stabilization based on high-sensitivity shooting and CCD-shift image stabilization mechanism compensates for image blur due to camera shake by adjusting the direction of the CCD. Together, these features open a new world of possibilities to compact digital camera users.
HD movie (MPEG-4 AVC / H.264) recording
Extended HDTV (1280 x 720 pixels) movie recording is possible thanks to the advanced MPEG-4 AVC / H.264 movie compression format.*6
Compatible with the SD memory card, movie recording can be started and stopped at the touch of a button.
Made possible by the incorporation of a 2 GB memory, photo-surfing allows you to download favourite pictures from your PC back to your camera, search desired pictures according to recording information such as "date", "iAUTO" and "scene mode", and view them on the camera. It's just like the camera version of netsurfing. With the provided [ib] software, users can create image collections based on various criteria such as who is in the picture or where it was shot.*9
To help people make the most of the possibilities of digital imaging, Olympus has developed a powerful new software solution called [ib] to connect "images" (pictures and movies) and "humans" based on the concepts of "easy", "safe" and "fun".
[ib] allows you to organize old pictures, as well as newly recorded pictures. When the camera is connected to a PC for charging the battery, newly recorded pictures are automatically transferred to the PC so you never forget to back up your precious pictures. The software automatically classifies the pictures according to their recording date when uploading to the PC. It is also capable of recognizing the persons shot as subjects and classify the pictures accordingly. In addition, it can assign recording location information for each classified event or each picture. By making classification and organization of multiple pictures simple and easy, [ib] enables you to easily find the pictures you're looking for.
[ib]: The software was named after phrases such as "Image Bridging", "Image Browsing" and "Image Brightening".
|*1||The area available to the user is restricted.|
|*2||Compatible with Windows OS only.|
|*3||35mm camera equivalent.|
|*4||Effective pixels of camera.|
|*5||The image stabilization effect varies depending on shooting conditions.|
|*6||The available recording time varies depending on subject motion and shooting environment.|
|*7||The recording time per session is limited to less than 30 minutes.|
|*8||Recording is terminated automatically when the file size reaches 4 GB.|
|*9||Tag information added using "ib" is required.|
|*10||Image size after compensation is limited to 5 MB. The compensation effect may vary between individuals.|
|*11||When the HDMI control setting menu is set to ON.|
|*12||Restricted to devices compliant with HDMI 1.3a or later.|
|*||Available colours: 3 colours (Titanium Silver, Pink, Light Blue)|
|Effective pixels||14 megapixels|
|Wide-angle shooting||28mm (35mm camera equivalent)|
|Image stabilization||DUAL IS (CCD-shift image stabilization & High-sensitivity shooting)|
|LCD size||3.0-inch, 230,000 dots|
|LCD type||TFT colour|
|Movie recording||HD movie (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264)|
- Shadow Adjustment Technology that detects faces of subjects and optimizes focus and exposure accordingly
- Magic Filter effects for creative imaging and Beauty Mode*10 to touch up human faces for more attractive results
- Scene Modes for one-touch shooting adjustment in difficult environments as well as in standard conditions
- HDMI output control for operations including picture selection and frame-by-frame advancement using a TV's remote control*11 *12
- Face Detection AF with which the camera detects and focuses on human faces automatically
- iAUTO function that analyzes the current composition and optimizes camera settings automatically
- In-body panorama composition function that lets you shoot a panorama picture by simply panning the camera as guided
- Key Backlight for easier button operations even in dark places
- USB battery charging enables the camera battery to be recharged from a PC while automatically storing and organizing recorded data in the PC
- AF Tracking to keep a moving subject in focus by tracking it automatically
- Perfect Shot Preview function for compensating the exposure and white balance by comparing images on the LCD screen
- Intuitive menu operation using new user interface and scroll dial
- Compatible media: SD memory card
- Press releases are company announcements that are directed at the news media.
- Information posted on this site is current and accurate only at the time of their original publication date, and may now be outdated or inaccurate.
- Company names and product names specified are trademarks of their respective owners.