February 2, 2010
Tough Category No.1 "5x Zoom" featuring "DUAL IS"
µTOUGH-8010 To Be Released
Tough series flagship model, combining compact construction
with truly Tough performance
Olympus Imaging Corporation (President: Masaharu Okubo) is pleased to announce the µTOUGH-8010 compact digital camera that incorporates all of our most powerful "toughness" features. Waterproof*1 to a depth of 10 metres, shockproof*2 against falls from as high as 2 metres, and freezeproof*3 at temperatures as low as -10°C. In addition, the forces applied to the surface of the body were thoroughly analyzed to achieve a resistance to loads up to 100kgf*4. This camera boasts a stylish design, outstanding imaging performance. Release is scheduled end of February 2010.
- No.1 for toughness! with its new "Double waterproofing","5x wide zoom", "DUAL IS*5" & "HyperCrystal III for Tough Series" LCD
- HD movie (MPEG-4 AVC / H.264) recording on SD/SDHC card
- Large-capacity 2 GB built-in memory*6 with photo-surfing capability using new [ib] PC software*7
Olympus's µTOUGH Series of compact digital cameras feature a waterproof, shockproof and freezeproof design that assures reliable, high-quality shooting under conditions that ordinary cameras would be unable to endure, such as underwater or in cold winter conditions. From the tranquil to the turbulent, whatever the conditions, whatever the situation, this camera assures great results, giving users the opportunity to expand their enjoyment of photography.
The new µTOUGH-8010 inherits the proven super-tough structure of its predecessor — it's waterproof*1 to a depth of 10 metres, dustproof*8 to keep out sand and dirt, shockproof*2 against drop impacts from as high as 2 metres, freezeproof*3 at temperatures as low as -10°C and crushproof loads up to 100kgf*4. But behind its tough exterior, this new digital camera is surprisingly sophisticated, now offering the outstanding imaging power of a 14-megapixel CCD*9 as well as powerful 5x zoom and high performance "DUAL IS"*5.
|*1||JIS/IEC protection class 8 (IPX8) equivalent (our in-house test condition).|
|*2||Under Olympus in-house test condition.|
|*3||Number of recordable pictures is reduced in low temperatures.|
|*4||Kilogram-force is the unit for measuring force extended on a body. Under Olympus test condition.|
|*5||The image stabilization effect varies depending on shooting conditions.|
|*6||The area available to the user is 1.6GB (including Software and Manual).|
|*7||Compatible with Windows OS only.|
|*8||JIS/IEC protection class (IP6X) equivalent (our in-house test condition).|
|*9||Number of effective pixels.|
Double waterproofing construction
Double-lock mechanism to prevent the battery cover from opening accidentally coupled with the use of double-sealing to further improve waterproofing provides even greater reliability and trustworthiness.
HD movie (MPEG-4 AVC / H.264) recording
Extended HDTV (1280 x 720 pixels) movie recording is possible thanks to the advanced MPEG-4 AVC / H.264 movie compression format.*10 *11 *12 Compatible with the SD/SDHC memory card, movie recording can be started and stopped at the touch of a button.
Made possible by the incorporation of a 2 GB memory*6, photo-surfing allows you to download favorite pictures from your PC back to your camera, search desired pictures according to recording information such as "date", "i-AUTO" and "scene mode", and view them on the camera. It's just like the camera version of netsurfing. With the provided [ib] software, users can create image collections based on various criteria such as who is in the picture or where it was shot.*13
To help people make the most of the possibilities of digital imaging, Olympus has developed a powerful new software solution called [ib] to connect "images" (pictures and movies) and "humans" based on the concepts of "easy", "safe" and "fun".
[ib] allows you to organize old pictures, as well as newly recorded pictures. When the camera is connected to a PC for charging the battery, newly recorded pictures are automatically transferred to the PC so you never forget to back up your precious pictures. The software automatically classifies the pictures according to their recording date when uploading to the PC. It is also capable of recognizing the persons shot as subjects and classify the pictures accordingly. In addition, it can assign recording location information for each classified event or each picture. By making classification and organization of multiple pictures simple and easy, [ib] enables you to easily find the pictures you're looking for.
[ib]: The software was named after phrases such as "Image Bridging", "Image Browsing" and "Image Brightening".
|*10||The available recording time varies depending on subject motion and shooting environment.|
|*11||The recording time per session is limited to less than 30 minutes.|
|*12||Recording is terminated automatically when the file size reaches 4 GB.|
|*13||Tag information added using "ib" is required.|
|*14||Image size after compensation is limited to 5 MB. The compensation effect may vary between individuals.|
|*15||When the HDMI control setting menu is set to ON.|
|*16||Restricted to devices compliant with HDMI 1.3a or later.|
|*||Available colours: Silver|
|Effective pixels||14 megapixels|
|Wide-angle shooting||28mm (35mm camera equivalent)|
|Image stabilization||DUAL IS (CCD-shift image stabilization & High-sensitivity shooting)*9|
|LCD size||2.7-inch, 230,000 dots|
|LCD type||HyperCrystal III for Tough Series|
|Movie recording||HD movie (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264)|
- Shadow Adjustment Technology that detects faces of subjects and optimizes focus and exposure accordingly
- Magic Filter effects for creative imaging and Beauty Mode to touch up human faces for more attractive results*14
- Scene Modes for one-touch shooting adjustment in difficult environments as well as in standard conditions
- HDMI output control for operations including picture selection and frame-by-frame advancement using a TV's remote control*15 *16
- Face Detection AF with which the camera detects and focuses on human faces automatically
- iAUTO function that analyzes the current composition and optimizes camera settings automatically
- In-body panorama composition function that lets you shoot a panorama picture by simply panning the camera as guided
- USB battery charging enables the camera battery to be recharged from a PC while automatically storing and organizing recorded data in the PC
- AF Tracking to keep a moving subject in focus by tracking it automatically
- Compatible media: SD/SDHC memory card
- Lens barrier: Only Olympus gives you a Tough camera with a retracting metal barrier.
- Double-lock mechanism: New Sliding lock secures a lid not to open easily.
- MACRO LED
- Underwater scene modes
- TAP CONTROL
- Press releases are company announcements that are directed at the news media.
- Information posted on this site is current and accurate only at the time of their original publication date, and may now be outdated or inaccurate.
- Company names and product names specified are trademarks of their respective owners.