February 8, 2012
Perfect for travel and sports.24x optical ultra-zoom that fits in your pocket
Olympus Imaging Corporation is pleased to announce the OLYMPUS SZ-14, a compact digital camera that is perfect for travel and sports events. It features 24x ultra-zoom lens, DUAL IS*1, and HD movies*2. It is scheduled to go on sale in Japan February.
- 14-Megapixel CCD*3, 24x optical zoom lens, DUAL IS to reduce picture blur, and Multi-motion function for stabilizing the image during movie shooting while walking
- Magic Filters*4 can be recorded in HD movie (MPEG-4 AVC / H.264)
- 3-inch, 460K dots High-resolution LCD monitor to enjoy viewing photos you just took
The OLYMPUS SZ Series is a digital camera that is perfect for travel and sports events. Thanks to its advanced optical expertise, Olympus has been able to incorporate in a compact, palm-size camera the same high-powered super-telephoto capability that normally makes SLR cameras so bulky and heavy. Because it is so small, this camera is an ideal travelling companion, offering the power of a full-size camera and lenses without increasing the amount of luggage. The SZ Series is an easy-to-use "all-in-one" camera that makes it possible anyone to enjoy the pleasure of advanced photography.
The Olympus SZ-14 covers a remarkably wide shooting range with focal lengths ranging from 25mm*5 wide-angle to 600mm*5 telephoto with the super-telephoto 24x optical zoom lens. It can capture big, up-close images of even the most distant subjects, creating high-impact pictures by capturing details that cannot be seen with the naked eye, such as the facial expressions of children in athletic or theatrical events or athletes in professional sport competitions. To reduce the picture blur commonly associated with telephoto shooting effectively, the SZ-14 features DUAL IS using a CCD-shift image stabilization mechanism and high-sensitivity image capturing. It also features dedicated Movie REC button to immediately shooting movies and Magic Movies to enhance your camera life. Moreover, you can enjoy the SZ-14 in your usual life as well with the full array of functions such as 3D Photos*6, Beauty Mode*7, Beauty Make, and Pet Mode.
HD movie (MPEG-4 AVC / H.264) recording
High-quality movies are available in 1280 x 720-pixel high-definition quality. Movie recording can be manipulated by a dedicated movie REC button. Multi-motion function for stabilizing the image during movie shooting while walking.
The SZ-14 features an expanded range of 11 Magic Filters, Pop, Pin Hole, Fisheye, Drawing, Soft Focus, Punk, Watercolor, Sparkle*8 , Reflection*9 and Miniature*9 inherited from the previous model, and newly added Fragmented. Furthermore, Magic Movies recordings are available in Pop, Pin Hole, Fisheye, Drawing, Soft Focus, Punk, Watercolor and Reflection delivering distinct look and artistic feel.
Fragmented: Turn an image into a photo composed of multiple casually laid-out tiles.
3D Photo Shooting Function
You can shoot dynamic 3D photos in any mode from usual life to landscape. Recreate a sense of depth like that of the original scene. You can then enjoy the full power of 3D images on compatible TV sets and computers. Simply select the 3D Photo in Shooting mode and then release the shutter and slide the camera sideways to easily get a 3D photo. During 3D Photo shooting, a 3D file and regular JPEG files are recorded at the same time. There are two modes to shoot 3D photos;
MPO file (Multi Picture Format)
This is a format standardized by CIPA to handle multiple images under a single image file. When you use the 3D Photo Shooting function, the images for the right and left eye are recorded in a single MP format file.
The camera automatically detects dogs' and cats' faces. Selecting the [Pet Mode - Dog] or [Pet Mode - Cat] from the scene mode, the camera will quickly detect your pet's face and automatically focus on it before shooting the photo. The camera will detect up to 10 faces of different dogs or cats.
The camera captures perfectly your pet's cute expressions. Use the Auto Release function to have the camera automatically shoot the photo the moment the dog or cat who is the main subject turns to face the camera. You will never again miss your pet's whimsical facial expressions.
Eye-Fi Card Compatible*9
Eye-Fi Cards are SDHC memory cards with built-in wireless LAN functionality. The images that you take can easily be uploaded wirelessly to your computer and to photo printing services and online albums.
|*1||Image stabilization effect varies depending on shooting conditions|
|*2||Recording time per session is limited to less than 29 minutes. Recording is terminated automatically when the file size reaches 4 GB|
|*4||Image size is limited to 5M or smaller in Drwing, Soft Focus, Watercolor and Sparkle. The types of Magic Filters that can be used for shooting movies is limited.|
|*5||35mm camera equivalent|
|*6||The 3D effect cannot be obtained when shooting moving subjects. Movies cannot be recorded. The 3D file recorded conforms to the Multi-Picture Format standardized by CIPA. During 3D Photo shooting, a 3D file and regular JPEG files are recorded at the same time.|
|*7||Image size is limited to 5M or smaller. Beauty Mode effect varies depending on shooting conditions|
|*8||The number of pets automatically detected is limited to 1 when Auto Shutter Release is set to ON, or up to 10 when it is set to OFF. Depending on the subject and shooting conditions the camera may not be able to correctly detect faces. In Pet mode, the flash and face detection of people's faces cannot be used.|
|*9||The use of Eye-Fi cards is limited to the original country of purchase. Observe all the applicable laws of the country of use. Turn off the Eye-Fi setting or refrain altogether from using Eye-Fi cards inside airplanes or in other places where wireless communication is restricted or forbidden. Single files (images or movies) exceeding 2GB cannot be transferred wirelessly. Files recorded using the 3D shooting function (MP files) are supported only by the X2-Pro card. For any inquiries regarding Eye-Fi cards please contact the card's manufacturer.|
|Effective pixels||14 megapixels|
|Wide-angle shooting||25mm (35mm camera equivalent)|
|Image stabilization||DUAL IS|
|LCD size||3.0-inch, 460,000 dots|
|LCD type||TFT colour|
|Movie recording||1280 x 720 pixel HD movie (MPEG-4 AVC / H.264)|
- Zooming the subject up to 40 cm with the zoom of 600 mm (35mm camera equivalent) during macro shooting
- Beauty Mode to touch up human faces for more attractive results
- Scene Modes for one-touch shooting adjustment in difficult environments including dedicated underwater scenes as well as in standard conditions
- HDMI output control for operations including picture selection and frame-by-frame advancement using a TV's remote control
- Face Detection AF with which the camera detects and focuses on human faces automatically
- iAUTO function that analyzes the current composition and optimizes camera settings automatically
- In-body panorama composition function that lets you shoot a panorama picture by simply panning the camera as guided
- USB battery charging enables the camera battery to be recharged from a PC while automatically storing and organizing recorded data in the PC
- AF Tracking to keep a moving subject in focus by tracking it automatically
- Photo-surfing allows you to search desired pictures according to recording keyword such as "date", and "subject".
- Compatible media: SD/SDHC/SDXD/Eye-Fi memory cards
- Press releases are company announcements that are directed at the news media.
- Information posted on this site is current and accurate only at the time of their original publication date, and may now be outdated or inaccurate.
- Company names and product names specified are trademarks of their respective owners.