February 12, 2014
The first ever Tough series*1 to be equipped with a tilting LCD.
Get the most out of outdoor scenes.
OLYMPUS STYLUS TG-850 Tough compact digital camera
Olympus Imaging Corporation (President: Haruo Ogawa) is pleased to announce the OLYMPUS STYLUS TG-850 Tough series compact digital camera, scheduled for release from end of March 2014. This camera features the four cornerstones of tough performance, waterpoof/dustproof, shockproof, freezeproof, and crushproof, along with a 21mm*2 super wide-angle lens, and a variety of features such as new tilting LCD for thorough enjoyment of outdoor activities.
|Category||Product Name||MSRP||Launch Date|
|Open price||End of Mar.
- Equipped with Tough performance that can withstand the most punishing environments: Waterproof capability down to 10 m*3, shockproof to 2.1 m*4, freezeproof down to -10°C*5, and crushproof to 100 kgf*6
- Equipped with a tilting LCD for easy low angle shots and self portraits
- Super wide-angle 21 - 105mm*2 optical 5x zoom lens
- With the combination of the 16 megapixel*7 high-sensitivity, high-speed Back-lit CMOS sensor (BSI CMOS sensor), and iHS Technology made possible by the high-performance TruePic VII image processor, high sensitivity, low noise, fast AF, and a fast start-up have been achieved
- 60p Full HD movies and Art Filter for enhanced expressive power
The Tough series is a concept model equipped with the three Tough qualities, waterproof/dustproof, shockproof, and freezeproof, for worry-free shooting underwater, snowy mountains, and other harsh environments that previous cameras could not endure. Not only is this camera popular for its ability to capture everyday scenes, but also the most punishing environments are no match tor the Tough series.
Main Functions Details
1. Equipped with Tough performance that can withstand the most punishing environments: Waterproof capability down to 10 m*3, shockproof to 2.1 m*4, freezeproof down to -10°C*5, and crushproof to 100 kgf*6
The OLYMPUS STYLUS TG-850 Tough is equipped with waterproof sealing for operation down to a depth of 10m*3, a shock-absorbing mechanism with shock absorbing materials on the inside of the camera. A double layer construction for the housing provides drop proof performance from a height of 2.1 m*4, and the ability to withstand crushing up to 100 kgf*6. In addition to the capability to withstand down to -10°C*5 in cold-weather environments, a dustproof design is used which brings out the true value of this camera when used in punishing environments such as underwater, on mountains, rocky slopes, etc, where other digital devices fear to tread.
2. Equipped with a new tilting LCD for easy low angle shots and self portraits
This model is equipped with a tilting LCD for the first time*1 on a Tough series camera. The large 3-inch, high-resolution 460,000 dot display can be tilted 180 degrees for complete freedom of movement such as when taking at a low angle or self portraits. This waterproof tilting LCD can be used for taking partially submerged shots and low angle photos of aquatic life without you getting wet, for a completely new experience. Although it is said to be difficult to achieve a slim camera design when using a tilting LCD, the full experience of the Tough series was incorporated into this model for a slim, natural finish while maintaining waterpoof and shockproof capabilities.
3. Super wide-angle 21 - 105mm*2 optical 5x zoom lens
Superb optical technology cultivated over many years is crystallized in the OLYMPUS STYLUS TG-850 Tough, for an extremely rare super wide-angle 21mm*2 zoom lens. In addition to a waterproof/splashproof super wide-angle zoom lens for capturing majestic scenery in the mountains or by the seashore, you can effectively use the camera even in underwater shooting where the angle of view tends to become narrow. In combination with the above-mentioned tilting LCD, you can easily shoot scenes that was previously impossible, such as capturing large group photos as a self portrait and put yourself into magnificent scenic photos. While achieving such a wide-angle lens, a new prism with a high refractive index, as well as Super HR lenses were used to make the camera more compact than previous model.
4. iHS Technology
iHS Technology stands for "intelligence", "high-speed", and "high-sensitivity".
A combination of the high-sensitivity/high-speed 16 megapixel*7 Back-lit CMOS sensor (BSI CMOS sensor), and the TruePic VII image processor also included on the flagship model OM-D E-M1, makes high resolution, excellent color reproduction, and capturing the subject your aiming for, possible.
5. 60p Full HD movies and Art Filter for enhanced expressive power
1) Art Filter for enhanced expressive power
This model is equipped with Art Filters that go beyond the OLYMPUS PEN and OM-D. The 7 Art Filters will fuel the spark of imagination so that you can create more stand-out pictures that perfectly match your imagination. Art Filter effects are available for still images, but they can also be used when shooting Full HD movies for greater freedom of expression and enjoyment.
7 Art Filters
- Pop Art
Colors are enhanced for a bright, fun feel. As its name implies, you can give your photos a pop, artsy finish.
- Soft Focus
Produces a soft tone and airy sensation. The finish appears beautiful and dreamlike.
- Grainy Film
Produces the powerful expressions that can only come from grainy black and white photos. The finish gives more dramatic emphasis to your theme.
- Pale & Light Color
Wraps the subject in soft, flat light for a wonderful floating feeling. The finish creates a feeling of scenery from a memory.
- Pin Hole
Just as on a pin hole camera, the surrounding light is lowered for unique colors and textures.
Lets you use sudden changes in the focus to give the illusion of distance, as well as emphasizing colors and contrast for photos that look like a miniature model.
- Dramatic Tone
This filter creates fantastic light and shade effects by changing local contrasts and converts an actual space into a realm of the imagination
2) Smooth progressive movie shooting
You can record progressive movies at 60 frames per second. In addition to Full HD image quality, you can enjoy movies that reproduce smooth and natural motion. Also, newly equipped Hybrid 5-axis movie image stabilization will compensate for blurring that occurs when shooting movies while walking.
- Compatible with Toshiba Inc. FlashAir*8, an SDHC memory card equipped with a wireless LAN function
- Max. ISO: 6400
- Hand-Held Starlight with Flash mode can be used to beautifully capture night scenes and people
- Interval Shooting (max. 99 shots) lets you adjust detailed settings such as the number of shots and exposure time for playing back recorded data on the camera as if it is a movie
- The Super Macro function lets you approach subjects up to a minimum distance of 1 cm away for 2.3x*2 close-up shots
- With Smart Panorama, you simply pan the camera horizontally or vertically for easy shots of panoramic images up to 360°.
- High-Speed Movie lets you capture quick-moving subjects for playback in slow motion at 120 fps and 240 fps.
- The free OLYMPUS Image Share application is available for easy sharing from a smartphone.
Separately Sold Items
Soft Camera Case CSCH-68
Floating Hand Strap with Carabiner
|*1||On waterproof/shockproof compact digital cameras released as of January 29, 2014. According to Olympus research.|
|*3||The waterproof performance is equivalent to JIS/IEC protection class 8 (IP8X) (according to Olympus testing conditions), and the dustproof performance is equivalent to JIS/IEC protection class 6 (IP6X) (according to Olympus testing conditions)|
|*4||Under conditions when the LCD monitor is closed. According to Olympus testing conditions.|
|*5||The number of available shots will decrease|
|*6||Under conditions when the LCD monitor is closed. According to Olympus testing conditions.|
|*7||Camera effective pixels|
|*8||FlashAirTM is a trademark of Toshiba Inc.|
- Press releases are company announcements that are directed at the news media.
- Information posted on this site is current and accurate only at the time of their original publication date, and may now be outdated or inaccurate.
- Company names and product names specified are trademarks of their respective owners.