May 12, 2015
Ultra-wide angle lens, M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 7-14mm F2.8 PRO
(35mm equivalent focal length: 14-28mm)
Three fast M.ZUIKO PRO lenses cover from ultra-wide-angle to telephoto at f2.8
Olympus Corporation (President: Hiroyuki Sasa) is pleased to announce the M.Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm F2.8 PRO (35mm equivalent: 14-28mm), is scheduled to go on sale from the end of June, 2015. This is a fast, high-performance, ultra wide-angle lens for professional use that conforms to the Micro Four Thirds System standard. By combining this lens with two other zoom lenses in M.Zuiko PRO category, these three fast M.Zuiko PRO lenses now cover the entire range from ultra-wide-angle to telephoto (equivalent to 14-300mm*1) at a fixed aperture of f2.8.
This is a fast f2.8, high-performance, ultra-wide angle zoom lens in the M.Zuiko PRO category, features excellent optical performance, and a rugged splash & dust-proof construction that ensures excellent image quality in any situation. The lightweight, compact form boasts superb optical performance when shooting at f2.8 aperture value, making it perfect not only for landscape photography, but also utilizing its brightness for nightscape photography, astrophotography, and underwater shooting. This lens makes previously impossible shots possible.
The closest focusing distance of 20 cm (7.5 cm from the end of the lens) expands possibilities for close-up scenes.
When combined with the M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm F2.8 PRO and M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F2.8 PRO, you can shoot from an ultra wide-angle 14mm to telephoto 300mm (35mm equivalent) at a fixed aperture value of f2.8.
- Mobility of a fixed aperture f2.8, fast, ultra wide-angle zoom in a compact, lightweight, splash & dust-proof construction
- Amazing optical performance that provides sharp image from the center to edges from the maximum aperture setting
- Excellent close-up shooting performance from up to 7.5 cm away from the end of the lens, in common with other lenses in M.Zuiko PRO category
|Category||Product Name||MSRP||Planned Launch Date|
|Interchangeable lens||M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 7-14mm F2.8 PRO||170,000 yen
(183,600 yen incl. tax)
|End of June, 2015|
Main Features Details
1. Mobility of a fixed aperture F2.8, fast, ultra wide-angle zoom in a compact, lightweight, splash & dust-proof construction
The brightness of f2.8 is now achieved in a compact, lightweight lens, while maintaining the high performance of the Four Thirds System ultra-wide-angle zoom lens, Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm f4. With the brightness of the maximum aperture setting of f2.8, 1 step faster shutter speed can be used for more possibilities in hand-held shooting when combined with the powerful image stabilization of the OM-D series.
The design makes use of a short flange back distance made possible with a Compact System Camera, keeping the lens amazingly compact and lightweight despite a large diameter. This model is approximately 60% of the weight of a lens on a full-frame camera at the same angle of view and maximum aperture value, giving it superb mobility.
A splash & dust-proof construction uses special sealing in 11 places, providing powerful protection against dust and splashes, making it the perfect companion for shooting in difficult environments when paired with the splash & dust-proof bodies of the OM-D E-M1 or E-M5 Mark II.
With this new lens added to the M.Zuiko PRO category along with the M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm F2.8 PRO and M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F2.8 PRO, the total weight is approximately half that of three full-frame SLR lenses with the same angle of view and maximum aperture value, providing unparalleled mobility in shooting environments where it is not possible to carry heavy equipment.
2. Amazing optical performance that provides sharp image from the center to edges from the maximum aperture setting
The optical performance of this lens provides superb image quality for scenes that demand sharp resolution even when shooting from the maximum aperture value, such as when photographing nightscapes and stars.
In order to enhance the optical performance of the large-diameter, maximum aperture value of f2.8 while maintaining a compact, lightweight size, special lenses are lavishly incorporated, such as DSA lens*2 super ED lens, ED, lens, EDA lens*3 , and HR lens. These lenses make it possible to reduce chromatic aberration, and achieve a high resolution image. They also ensure optical performance to minimize corner shading.
ZERO (Zuiko Extra-low Reflection Optical) Coating is used effectively to minimize ghosts and flaring, creating a lens that is resistant to backlit situations. In particular, by optimizing coating on the large-diameter front lens, circular ghosts are significantly reduced.
The superb optical performance of this lens brings out the best when used with 40M High Res. Shot on the OM-D E-M5 Mark II.
3. PRO category level close-up shooting performance from up to 7.5 cm away from the end of the lens
The closest focusing distance of 20 cm (7.5 cm from the end of the lens) enables a maximum shooting magnification of 0.12x (35mm equivalent: 0.24x). Only an ultra wide-angle lens such as this lets you keep the clear background in close-up shots.
|*2||Dual Super Aspherical|
|*3||Extra-low Dispersion Aspheric|
- This lens is equipped with the Manual Focus Clutch mechanism for instantly switching from AF to MF shooting so you can use location-specific focusing.
- Equipped with an L-Fn function button. You can use it to pause AF operation and assign a custom setting function to it on the camera.
- Equipped with a fixed lens hood. By moving the front lens position to the rear for telephoto and forward for wide-angle shooting, unnecessary light is effectively blocked from entering the lens. By using plastic materials, shock-resistant performance is maintained and vignetting from the lens hood is prevented.
Lens Cap, LC-79 (bundled)
This is a lens cap exclusively for use with the M.Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm F2.8 PRO. The cover-style lens cap has a locking mechanism.
Lens Case, LSC-0914 (bundled)
A purse-style lens case that protects the lens with a three-layer construction.
Camera Bag, CBG-10
The three fast M.Zuiko PRO F2.8 zoom lenses and OM-D E-M1 (or OM-D E-M5 Mark II) can be compactly stored in this bag.
Underwater Lens Port, PPO-E04
When combined with the Underwater Case for the OM-D E-M1 (PT-EP11) or Underwater Case for the OM-D E-M5 (PT-EP08), the ultra wide-angle zoom lens can be used for underwater photography.
Port Adapter, PAD-EP08
Underwater Port Extension Ring, PER-E01
Zoom Gear, PPZR-EP06
This gear lets you zoom when using the M.Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm F2.8 PRO lens with underwater case attached.
Optional Items Outline
|Product Name||MSRP||Launch Date|
|Lens Cap, LC-79||2,000 yen
(2,160 yen incl. tax)
|End of June, 2015|
|Lens Case, LSC-0914||3,500 yen
(3,780 yen incl. tax)
|Camera Bag, CBG-10||30,000 yen
(32,400 yen incl. tax)
|Underwater Lens Port, PPO-E04||118,000 yen
(127,440 yen incl. tax)
|Underwater Case, PT-EP11 (for E-M1)||119,000 yen
(128,520 yen incl. tax)
|Underwater Case, PT-EP08 (for E-M5)||107,000 yen
(115,560 yen incl. tax)
|Port Adapter, PAD-EP08||17,000 yen
(18,360 yen incl. tax)
|Underwater Port Extension Ring, PER-E01||16,000 yen
(17,280 yen incl. tax)
|Zoom Gear, PPZR-EP06 (for 7-14mmPRO)||10,000 yen
(10,800 yen incl. tax)
|End of June, 2015|
- Press releases are company announcements that are directed at the news media.
- Information posted on this site is current and accurate only at the time of their original publication date, and may now be outdated or inaccurate.
- Company names and product names specified are trademarks of their respective owners.