My job focusses on CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) activities on young generation education in China. One challenge in doing education project is that you need to learn new knowledge constantly. Only when you understand the scientific principles can you transfer the knowledge better. In particular, Olympus owns many high-end technologies, which requires a deep understanding to deliver the key massage of the technical information accurately. Agility is an important principal to follow at this point. However, when product information and scientific knowledge are passed to young participants, words fail to express my sense of achievement when seeing that they have gained meaningful knowledge or even get career dreams.
The Member of CSR Dept. Managing the Youth Education Support Activities in China
Through Olympus’ technology and products, we focus on the long-term development of the teenagers by inspiring their career dreams.
Q: Why did you join Olympus?
I feel great passion from Olympus employees about their work.
My first impression of Olympus is a leading camera and medical equipment company, which has made it an ideal career choice. During my interview process, both HR and the department I interviewed showed great passion about their work, which made me more determined to join the company. Luckily, I got the chance to join Olympus and turned out to be a wise choice.
* The cameras, audio recorders and binoculars are no longer owned or controlled by Olympus Corporation or part of its overall product portfolio. Since January 2021 these products have been transferred to and are being marketed, sold and distributed by OM Digital Solutions.
Q: What do you do at Olympus, and what motivates you?
I can’t express my feeling when I see the young generations have obtained meaningful knowledge or even career dreams.
Q: What is a typical day for you?
My working schedule varies according to the stage of the project I have been working on, so I will take the process of how I manage a CSR project as an example.
- ・ First of all, we will carry out project proposal within the department, determine our target audience and the key message to be delivered, and at the same time, consider the corresponding time schedule and venue of the activity.
- ・ As product information has always been a key information in activity, we will also consult professional technical knowledge with colleagues of the business unit. For example, how to use endoscopes to deliver gastrointestinal health knowledge to teenagers, how X-ray fluorescence analyzers can help us identify metal components, how to display the anti-shake function of a camera in a direct way, etc. During this period, unity plays an important role. Their technical support and consultation will make our project completer and more reasonable.
- ・ After the completion of project planning, we will also rehearse the activities to ensure smooth rundown and reasonable use of equipment.
- ・ And finally, on the activity day, our department, together with support team members, welcome all the participants and carry out funny activity with science knowledge.
Q: What subjects did you like most in school, and what skills do you think are needed for your job?
My job requires not only learning several business abilities, but also a heart-felt passion for the work.
A basic requirement of project management is an overall planning ability. There are many things to consider behind every project, such as summarizing the core information, planning the schedule, evaluating the rationality of rundown, making emergency plans, and controlling the material quality and logistics progress. We need not only internal communication, but also external support, which turns out interpersonal relationship is also important. Besides the basic requirement, remain agility is also important. You need to refresh your knowledge, keep pace with the latest trends of education, and learn communication skills with teenagers. These requires not only learning ability, but also a heart-felt passion for the work. Last but not least, working in an international company, foreign language will be very useful in daily work. I learnt Spanish at university, plus English and Chinese, it provides me a broader horizon to gather information from other corners of the world.
Q: What do you think about corporate contributions to society?
My CSR experience in Olympus mainly focuses on young generation education. It is a very Olympus-like social contribution activity, as we have a unique advancing optical technology, and many high-tech optical equipment, these are the characteristics of our activities. Also, young generation education is under global collaboration, Olympus participates in the project as a global citizen, we are constantly inspired by team members from all around the world. During the activity, besides science knowledge, whether physics, biology or health, we also focus on the long-term development of the teenagers by inspiring their career dreams, such as doctor, engineer and scientist, which brings a deeper influence on our participants. Olympus has been carrying young generation education program many years in China. The first Optical Technology tour was held in 2014, since when a roadshow of optical technology was held every year in science museums and shopping mall in big cities in China. We also started a science class program since 2017 to promote health and optical knowledge to primary and middle school students. We will continuously promote more CSR activities to make more contribution to the society.