High-performance, super-telephoto lensM.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm f4.0 IS PRO(35mm equivalent focal length: 600mm)
The powerful image stabilization and excellent mobility that makes hand-held shooting possible on a super-telephoto lens
January 6, 2016
Olympus Corporation (President: Hiroyuki Sasa) is pleased to announce the M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm f4.0 IS PRO (35mm equivalent focal length: 600mm), scheduled to go on sale at the end of February, 2016. This compact, lightweight, high-performance, super-telephoto professional lens features a splashproof and dustproof construction along with an image stabilization mechanism. It conforms to the Micro Four Thirds System standard and provides excellent mobility. When attached to the OM-D E-M1 firmware Version 4.0 or the E-M5 Mark II firmware Version 2.0, the new 5-axis sync IS provides the world's most powerful 6 shutter speed steps*1 of compensation performance, making hand-held shooting possible with this super-telephoto lens.
This super telephoto single-focal-length lens is an addition to the M.Zuiko PRO category that possesses excellent optical performance, splashproof and dustproof performance, and excellent durability, providing excellent image quality in any circumstance. This is the first Olympus interchangeable lens to be equipped with an in-lens image stabilization mechanism. The in-body image stabilization of the OM-D E-M1 firmware Version 4.0 and the E-M5 Mark II firmware Version 2.0 and the in-lens image stabilization work in concert to expand image stabilization performance, achieving the new 5-axis sync IS for the world's most powerful 6 shutter speed steps*1 of compensation. Excellent mobility in a compact, lightweight, splashproof and dustproof performance and new 5-axis sync IS makes previously difficult hand-held shooting possible on a super-telephoto lens. This lens opens up a whole new world of super-telephoto lens photography when shooting subjects such as birds, animals and other wildlife, as well as sports and vehicles.
It also features excellent optical performance even when shooting at the widest aperture setting, far surpassing the highly regarded performance of the Zuiko Digital series of super high-grade lenses in its resolution. When combined with the M.Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter MC-14, it can be used as a compact, high-resolution 840mm (35mm equivalent) super-telephoto lens.
- 1. New 5-axis sync IS technology for the world's most powerful 6 shutter speed steps*1 of compensation
- 2. Excellent mobility in a compact, lightweight, splashproof and dustproof construction
- 3. Olympus' highest resolution ever, exceeding even super high-grade lenses
|Category||Product Name||MSRP||Planned Launch Date|
|Interchangeable lens||M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm f4.0 IS PRO||370,000 yen
(399,600 yen incl. tax)
|End of February, 2016|
*1 CIPA guideline compliant, when correction is carried out on two axes (yaw and pitch).
Main Features Details
1. New 5-axis sync IS technology for the world's most powerful 6 shutter speed steps*1 of compensation
To enhance image stabilization effect in the super telephoto range, a built-in image stabilization mechanism is adopted to the lens. When combined with the OM-D E-M1 Version 4.0 or E-M5 Mark II Version 2.0, the advantages of the in-body and in-lens image stabilization are utilized to act in concert as the new 5-axis sync IS technology. This technology provides the world's most powerful 6 shutter speed steps*1 of IS performance, resulting in a revolutionary image stabilization system that enables hand-held shooting at 600mm (35mm equivalent). Because the in-lens image stabilization mechanism provides 4 shutter speed steps*1 of compensation, this super-telephoto lens can be used even with other camera bodies.
2. Excellent mobility in a compact, lightweight, splashproof and dustproof construction
Conventional knowledge dictates that super-telephoto lenses are large and heavy, and require a tripod or monopod when shooting. The Olympus high-performance super-telephoto lens provides excellent mobility for a greater range of hand-held shooting scenes. When compared with a 35mm full-frame 600mm f4.0 lens, this compact, lightweight lens is a third of the weight at 1,270g (excluding tripod base plate), and half the length at 227mm (φ92.5mm). This construction expands shooting scenes by making it possible to bring the lens into situations where tripod or monopod can't be used. Now you can easily enjoy hand-held shooting of birds, animals and other wildlife and sports. This system not only reduces the amount of cumbersome equipment that must be carried around, but because the camera body and super-telephoto lens can be taken as a hand luggage on airplanes.
Despite the compact size, the lens features hermetic splashproof and dustproof sealing in 17 places and freezeproof performance down to -10°C. When combined with the same splashproof, dustproof and freezeproof performance of the OM-D E-M1/E-M5 Mark II, you never have to worry about the weather or place where you'll be shooting.
The inclusion of the MSC (Movie & Still Compatible) mechanism makes AF operations silent. When combined with the OM-D's silent mode (electronic shutter), you can photograph musical performances and piano recitals in near total silence.
3. Olympus' highest resolution ever, exceeding even super high-grade lenses
Olympus' highest ever resolving power has been achieved in this lens, outshining even that of the popular high-resolution Four Thirds Super High Grade (SHG) lens. 3 difficult to fabricate Super ED lenses, 1 E-HR (Extra-High Refractive index) lens, and 3 HR (High Refractive index) lenses are lavishly used on this product to reduce color bleeding and chromatic aberrations that tend to occur on super-telephoto lenses, maintaining a high level of resolution. Excellent resolution and a compact size was made possible by using high-precision, large-diameter lens and thin fine-polished lens elements achieved with the culmination of Olympus optical design and manufacturing technology.
The new coating technology, Z Coating Nano, significantly reduces ghosts and flares that occur during back-lit shooting as well as providing sharp, clear image quality. This technology is particularly effective for strong light sources on the screen when shooting.
You can also use the dedicated M.Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter MC-14, to shoot at a high-resolution of 840mm (35mm equivalent).
- High-speed, high-precision AF when combined with OM-D E-M1/E-M5 Mark II.
- Telemacro functions that let you shoot from approx. 1.15 m away from the end of the lens (closest focusing distance: 1.4 m). Amazing close-up performance for photographing flowers and insects at a maximum image magnification of 0.48x (35mm equivalent).
- This model is equipped with the Manual Focus Clutch mechanism, which makes switching to manual focus possible by pulling the focusing ring toward you. On the side of the lens barrel, it also features a Focus Limit switch (4 m to ∞, all range, 1.4 to 4 m), an IS switch (On/Off), and an L-Fn button which can all be operated while holding the camera.
- Built-in sliding lens hood that can be locked into place when extended.
- Removable tripod base plate on the bottom with a quick shoe compatible rail.
- Lens Cap, LC-77B (bundled/separately-sold)
- Lens cap for lenses with a filter diameter of φ77mm. It can be removed with the lens hood extended.
- Lens Case, LSC-1127 (bundled/separately-sold)
- A three-layer construction purse-string type lens case securely protects the lens. The lens can be stored in the case with the lens cap, protection filter, tripod base plate, and teleconverter attached to the lens.
- Decoration Ring, DR-79 (bundled/separately-sold)
- This decoration ring covers the position locking screws that are exposed when the tripod base plate is removed for hand-held shooting.
- Protection Filter, ZUIKO PRF-ZD77 PRO
- This is a protection filter with the Zuiko name. ZERO (Zuiko Extra-low Reflection Optical) Coating, which halve reflections compared to the traditional multicoating, was applied to prevent ghosts and flares from reflection, the edges of the glass are coated black, and a satin, glare reducing black alumite aluminum frame is also used. It can also be used on lenses with a filter diameter of φ77mm.
- M.Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter, MC-14
- This high-performance teleconverter is designed exclusively for the M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm f4.0 IS PRO and M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f2.8 PRO, and boasts splashproof, dustproof and freezeproof performance. This increases the attached lenses to a focal length of 1.4x. When attached to the M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm f4.0 IS PRO, the focal length is extended to 840mm (35mm equivalent). The closest focusing distance remains at 1.4 m, with a maximum image magnification of 0.67x (35mm equivalent).
* Aperture value drops 1 EV
- Dot Sight, EE-1
- This is an external dot sight suitable for super-telephoto shooting. It features a splashproof design to match your shooting needs. Because a coin-shaped battery is used, it can be attached to the accessory shoe. The reticle position and brightness can be adjusted for easier framing when shooting far-away subjects.
Press releases are company announcements that are directed at the news media.
Information posted on this site is current and accurate only at the time of their original publication date, and may now be outdated or inaccurate.
Company names and product names specified are trademarks of their respective owners.