OLYMPUS PEN-F, Compact System Camera
Special PEN with a timeless beauty in its designNew functions that let you enjoy the process of analog photography
such as selecting, developing and printing film in a digital format
January 27, 2016
Olympus Corporation (President: Hiroyuki Sasa) is pleased to announce the new Micro Four Thirds System compliant Compact System Camera, OLYMPUS PEN-F, scheduled to go on sale on Friday, February 26, 2016. This camera features 20 Megapixel Live MOS sensor in a sophisticated range finder style camera body, along with powerful 5-axis image stabilization, and the new Monochrome and Color Profile Control which allows you to enjoy an analog photographic techniques such as selecting, developing, and printing film in a digital format.
- 1. A design with timeless beauty and excellent operability
- 2. New 20 Megapixel Live MOS sensor and 5-axis VCM image stabilization for the ultimate image quality
- 3. Monochrome and Color Profile Control give the photographer complete freedom of expression
- 4. 2.36 million dot built-in Electronic Viewfinder for focusing on shooting
- 5. Super-fast response for comfortable shooting, such as the shortest release time lag*1 of any Compact System Camera
|Planned Launch Date
|Micro Four Thirds compliant interchangeable lens camera
|February 26, 2016
|Olympus PEN-F 12mm f2.0 Lens Kit
+ M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f2.0*2
*1 As of January 27, 2016. When using the mechanical shutter.
*2 The lens color is black regardless of body color
The Olympus PEN-F is the latest Compact System Camera born from a fusion of cutting-edge digital technology and the craftsmanship handed down for 80 years of camera manufacturing. It bears the name of the world's first half-frame SLR, the Pen F, with a classical yet modern beauty, fine texturing, and superb controls along with a high-definition built-in electronic viewfinder.
The newly developed 20 Megapixel Live MOS sensor and the latest TruePic VII image processor bring out the amazing image quality of the Zuiko Digital lens. Also, the powerful 5-axis VCM image stabilization provides the best blur-free image quality in any situation.
The new Monochrome and Color Profile Control offers a way to truly enjoy adding a film photo touch to images while looking through the viewfinder as you select a film type, develop, and then print images just the way you like. This new feature makes this the perfect camera for those who love to create original photographs as you envisioned.
Main Features Details
1. A design with timeless beauty and excellent operability
The soft, modern body line and silhouette are inherited from the world's first half-frame SLR camera Pen F and a button and dial layout is optimized for easy operation while looking through the viewfinder. This is truly the beautiful design of a timeless range finder style camera.
The top and front covers are made of magnesium, and the bottom cover of the body and machined dials are made of aluminum. Thorough attention is given to detail throughout the camera to the point where screws cannot be seen from the outside. The rear of the LCD monitor also features the same synthetic leather as that used on the camera body for a finishing touch that provides a unified feel.
The simple controls are achieved with the new exposure compensation dial and four custom positions added to the mode dial for instant access to settings registered.
2. New 20 Megapixel Live MOS sensor and 5-axis VCM image stabilization for the ultimate image quality
The combination of the excellent image quality of the Zuiko Digital lens, the new 20 Megapixel Live MOS sensor, and TruePic VII image processor that brings out the best of the lens and image sensor result in the ultimate image quality. The low pass filter-less construction of the 20 Megapixel Live MOS sensor achieves high resolution and a low sensitivity ISO LOW mode equivalent to ISO 80.
Additionally, the powerful 5-axis VCM (Voice Coil Motor) image stabilization provides up to 5.0 steps*3 of shutter speed for the world's highest*4 level of compensation performance. This construction lets you capture clear images of night scenes and other low light locations with minimal noise without raising the ISO speed.
In-body image stabilization also makes it possible to use older lenses with the same effects for blur-free, stable images in the viewfinder when shooting. By having the in-lens image stabilization and in-body image stabilization work in concert, it is compatible with new technology, 5-axis sync IS, which enables more powerful image stabilization*5.
High Res. Shot, which provides high-resolution images that go beyond that of full-frame SLRs can now capture 50 Megapixel equivalent images. With this you can capture ultra high-resolution images that reproduce every detail of subjects such as architecture and works of art.
*3 CIPA guideline compliant, when correction is carried out on two axes (yaw and pitch). Lens: M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ
Focal length: f=42mm (35mm film equivalent f= 84mm）
*4 As of January 27, 2016. Except for 5-axis sync IS.
3. Monochrome and Color Profile Control give the photographer complete freedom of expression
The new Monochrome and Color Profile Control gives you the opportunity to experience viewfinder shooting where you can shoot as if you're using a film camera, choosing a film type, developing shots, and printing them to capture the exact photo just as you envisioned. This process is different from using photo editing software after shooting, letting users apply and check effects while controlling with dials and levers to create their own original images.
Both functions feature presets designed with the image of classic film effects. In addition to shooting at those settings, you can also customize settings by adjusting them to achieve your optimal desired photo.
The Creative Dial is positioned on the front of the camera for accessing these functions with a single twist of the dial. With this dial you can also access Art Filters and Color Creator for help in freedom of artistic expression.
- New feature 1) Monochrome Profile Control
- In monochrome shooting you can combine 5 tone effects such as Color Filter effect, Shading effect, Film Grain effect and Highlight & Shadow Control. These features allow a variety of monochromatic expressions possible.
In addition to default settings (preset 1), there is also the Classic Film B&W (preset 2) for a monochrome film effect with high contrast, and the Classic Film IR (preset 3) for an effect that looks like infrared film.
- New feature 2) Color Profile Control
- When shooting color photos you can adjust the color saturation of 12 colors in 11 steps. This can also be combined with Highlight & Shadow Control for an expanded range of expression. Photographers can use these features to capture photos with an ideal color palette.
In addition to default settings (preset 1) there is also the Chrome Film Rich Color (preset 2) which provides slightly deeper tones in images, and Chrome Film Vivid Saturation (preset 3) which gives rich colors with high levels of color saturation to images.
4. 2.36 million dot built-in Electronic Viewfinder for focusing on shooting
This model is equipped with a built-in 2.36 million dot high-definition OLED electronic viewfinder with a 100% field of view and a magnification rate of 1.23x (35mm equivalent: approx..0.62x). It provides clear view without aberrations even at the edges.
S-OVF (Simulated OVF) can be used to expand the dynamic range and provide an image just as you see it.
The magnified display function and the Focus Peaking, which offers 3 levels and 4 colors, help to enhance lens focusing to high levels of precision.
*5 When using M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm f4.0 IS PRO (as of January 27, 2016)
5. Super-fast response for comfortable shooting, such as the shortest release time lag*1 of any Compact System Camera
The shortest*1 release time lag of any Compact System Camera at 0.044 seconds, and the 1/8000 sec. high-speed mechanical shutter provides accurate performance for capturing photo opportunities.
Shutter functions can be selected according to the scene, such as Silent mode*6, which is useful for shooting in situations that demand complete silence. Anti-Shock mode*7 is available for situations where you want to prevent shutter shake.
The AF Targeting Pad supports comfortable shooting by letting you set the focus from 81 focus points on the rear monitor while looking through the viewfinder. Face priority AF and Eye priority AF can detect and continue adjusting the focus on faces or eyes for easier portrait shooting.
- Vari-angle monitor offers shooting from a variety of angles
- Highlight & Shadow Control can now adjust midtones
- Lens information for lenses without electronic contacts can be registered and recorded in Exif info of recorded images, such as lens name, focal length, and aperture value
- AF Target Spot Metering links AF Target and the metering area
- Live Composite lets you capture movement of light as solid light trails
- 4K Time Lapse movie with 4 times the resolution of traditional movies
- Focus bracketing mode changes the focus location while capturing multiple images during sequential shooting
- High-speed sequential shooting: 10 fps with the mechanical shutter, 5 fps with C-AF, 20 fps with Silent mode*8
- Live View Boost 2 makes it possible to focus and compose shots while checking stars in Live View
- Powerful 5-axis image stabilization provides high-quality OM-D MOVIE
- Olympus Viewer 3 Ver. 2.0 image editing software can now process High Res. Shot RAW images
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Olympus Image Share smartphone app enable remote shooting and image transfer with a smartphone
*6 Switches to electronic shutter when in use
*7 When the first-curtain electronic shutter is used. When the shutter-speed is faster than 1/320 sec, it automatically switches to mechanical shutter
*8 When using Silent H+ mode
External Grip, ECG-4
Metal External Grip, ECG-4 lets you hold the camera more comfortably. The battery can be replaced without removing the grip from the camera. A quick shoe compatible rail is equipped on the bottom for direct connection to a compatible tripod head.
Premium Leather Series
Premium quality made-in-Japan leather accessories are available in a limited quantity. The two-tone brown and black coloring design fits any situation, from casual to formal. The genuine leather will change and develop its own personality as it ages.
Premium Leather Shoulder Strap, CSS-S120L PR
This camera strap features high-quality genuine leather with two-tone design. Its 30mm width and thickness help reduce shoulder strain. A special stitching method is used to keep the stitched sections of the two-toned leather strong yet pliable.
Premium Leather Wrapping Cloth, CS-48 PR
This luxurious wrapping cloth is made of nicely textured genuine leather. The size is perfect for wrapping the entire camera with a large lens attached, with attention to detail including cloth thickness and stitching.
Premium Leather Camera Bag, CBG-11 PR
This is a compact, smart genuine leather camera bag. It was produced under the direction of AJIOKA Co., Ltd., a Japanese leather manufacturer with 99 years of history, with through attention to details such as pockets, shoulder pad, and shoulder strap. Not only can it be used as a camera bag, but it can also be used as an everyday bag with its excellent design.
Genuine Leather Body Jacket, CS-47B
This is a genuine leather body jacket for the Olympus PEN-F. Shooting is possible even with the jacket attached to the camera, and it helps protect the bottom of the camera from bumps and scratches. The color and shape are designed to give a unified feel when attached to the camera.
Sales Outline for Optional Accessories
|Planned Launch Date
|External Grip, ECG-4
(16,200 yen incl. tax)
|February 26, 2016
|Premium Leather Shoulder Strap, CSS-S120L PR
|February 26, 2016
|Premium Leather Wrapping Cloth, CS-48 PR
|February 26, 2016
|Premium Leather Camera Bag, CBG-11 PR
|February 26, 2016
|Genuine Leather Body Jacket, CS-47B
(6,480 yen incl. tax)
|February 26, 2016
Press releases are company announcements that are directed at the news media.
Information posted on this site is current and accurate only at the time of their original publication date, and may now be outdated or inaccurate.
Company names and product names specified are trademarks of their respective owners.